Amy Winehouse died from the ‘shock’ of alcohol withdrawal, says family
Trying to get sober might have killed Amy Winehouse.
The beehived diva, infamous for her drug and booze intake, went cold turkey on her heavy drinking in the month before her death on Saturday – and family members think her decision was fatal.
“Abstinence gave her body such a fright, they thought it was eventually the cause of her death,” a family friend told British newspaper The Sun.
Her father, Mitch, believed “the shock of giving up, after everything she had been through over a bad few years, was just too much for her to take,” the friend said.
Doctors had advised the 27-year-old “Rehab” singer to cut back gradually on her boozing, according to The Sun.
On Tuesday, hundreds of teary mourners said farewell to Winehouse at a London funeral at the Edgwarebury Cemetery. The Grammy-winning singer finally found peace after a tumultuous life of endless drama, her father said in a eulogy at the private service.
“He stressed so many times she was happier now than she had ever been and he spoke about her boyfriend and paid tribute to a lot of people in her life,” said family spokesman Chris Goodman.
The funeral featured prayers, song and laughter as her father spoke before the mourners harmonized on Carole King’s “So Far Away” – a Winehouse favorite.
“Good night, my angel, sleep tight,” said dad Mitch Winehouse, a cabbie/jazz singer. “Mummy and Daddy love you so much.”
The Grammy winner’s body was then taken for cremation before the Winehouse family went to sit Shiva – the traditional Jewish period of mourning.
Toxicology reports are expected in a few weeks to confirm the cause of death for Winehouse.